Local students at Community College Day in Austin

Raine Caldwell, Staff Writer

Members of the Richland Campus Student Government Association pose during their trip to the state Capitol. (Staff photo Raine Caldwell)

Richland Student Government Association members went to the state Capitol in Austin for Community College Day on Jan. 25. They were joined by other students across the Dallas
College campuses and made a mark by expressing their concern for problems that need to be addressed.
Because Dallas College was the biggest participant at the event, they got a day’s head start in meeting with their representatives.
In an unexpected meeting, representative State Senator Royce West (D) from District 23 in Dallas County shared some advice on his commute down the halls of the Capitol. He urged students to get involved in the matters that needed most attention, and speak up for what they believe in. This seems to be a reoccurring theme as many representatives urged young voters to get involved in local government.
In more formal proceedings, students asked questions regarding campus safety, international student involvement and security. When meeting with representative Julia Johnson (D), who represents District 115 in Dallas County, students from Brookhaven asked if there was anything in place to fund housing on the community college level. Johnson responded with, “I agree with you, and the problem with that is Dallas College is getting big. Almost 90,000 students. It is more than UT.”
This implies that because of the growing population of Dallas College is very hard to cater to a concrete housing system. Also, Dal- las College is mostly comprised of early college students and wouldn’t benefit from housing. Leaving those who aren’t left to other merits of stability like campus food pantries.
Community College Day got students to voice their concerns and meet with lawmakers.
“I think Community College Day was an amazing experience. It taught young people how to lobby and represent themselves to political leaders,” said Hannah Spohn, Texas Junior College Student Government Association president.
The biannual event gave way for grievances to be aired and educate students on the way the Texas government works. Of course, going straight to the capitol isn’t the only way to voice concerns for college campuses. Going to the office of student life or SGA is another way to start talking about what to change.