67 °
    69 °
    72 °
    75 °
    78 °
    80 °
    82 °
    83 °
    83 °
    83 °
    81 °
    79 °
    77 °
    75 °
    74 °
    72 °
    71 °
    71 °
    71 °
    71 °
    70 °
    70 °
    69 °
    69 °
    70 °
April 30
84°/ 64°
Patchy rain nearby
May 1
81°/ 69°
Patchy rain nearby
May 2
81°/ 66°
Heavy rain

SGA Region II has big plans for Dallas College

During the TJCSGA Region II lunch, students discuss what they have learned. (Staff Photo/Angelo Diaz)

Students and representatives from the Dallas College campuses gathered to discuss student government activities with fellow junior colleges as part of Region II. The Texas Junior College Student Government Association, or TJCSGA, is “the only student-maintained organization in the state that works to promote the cause of community college students at the local, regional, state and national level,” according to tjcsga.org.

Throughout the year, SGAs of junior colleges have been working on projects and presentations to be judged and compared to collectively decide which will proceed to the state level. Kelly Sonnanstine, Richland Campus SGA adviser, said she encourages graders to remain unbiased. “Who do you want to win? Region II, right? If none of Region II wins, then we are disappointed. But if somebody from region 2 wins we’re happy. We’re happier if it’s our own school. But we’re happy if it’s Region II,” Sonnanstine said.

The general assembly took place at Dallas College Mountain View Campus on March 1. Not all colleges part of Region II made the trip that day but those who were present submitted resolutions, awards and propositions to their respective committees.

Caleb Wilburn, president of the Cedar Valley SGA, said his Resolutions Committee included three resolutions passed by the SGA regional board. “When you are talking about resolutions, it’s not just within Dallas College or Collin College, but potentially for the whole state of Texas so that’s why these resolutions are very important,” he said.

The resolutions passed will be brought to the state’s attention with topics including such as adding a student representative to the board of trustees, combating a constitutional amendment for lowering votes for colleges that have various campuses, and maintaining feminine hygiene products in college restrooms so they are available to students for free.

The Awards Committee is responsible for collecting all awards given in order to prepare for the state-level awards. Two representatives from each present campus graded awards that had been submitted. Split into two groups, grading was done independently and the average was submitted.

Richland won Student of the Year with Arianna Villareal’s submission, as well as Chapter of the Year and Event of the Year with coverage of the Richardson Area Democrats Debate. El Centro won Scrapbook of the Year, Richland won Community Service, and other awards were also recognized.

The awards and resolutions passed will be taken to state April 8 where SGA officers will meet and compete by displaying their impact on the community.