70 °
    70 °
    70 °
    70 °
    72 °
    75 °
    77 °
    80 °
    80 °
    80 °
    80 °
    79 °
    79 °
    77 °
    76 °
    74 °
    73 °
    72 °
    71 °
    71 °
    71 °
    71 °
    71 °
    70 °
    68 °
April 27
82°/ 68°
Moderate rain
April 28
79°/ 64°
Moderate rain
April 29
87°/ 63°
Sunny

COMMENTARY: Women breaking barriers

Conference part of Women’s History Month at Richland
Photo/Associated Press
Women hold up green bandanas, a symbol of abortion rights in Latin America, during International Women’s Day march in Buenos Aires on March 8.

Women’s History Month, which began March 1 and concludes March 31, was marked by Dallas College Richland Campus hosting the 2024 Women’s Empowerment Leadership Conference.
The conference, a pivotal part of Dallas College’s celebration and tribute to women, served as a platform to showcase the remarkable achievements of women who have been game changers in our society and economy. The event featured workshops with established women who owned their own companies, became a brand name and held the keys to the mindset behind being an entrepreneur. Their stories of success and resilience were truly inspiring.
The luncheon on March 27, a highlight of the conference, featured Judge Vonda Bailey Shaw as the keynote speaker, sharing her experience as a person who makes major decisions in someone’s life and how she got her start at Dallas College herself. The final event, “Women Championing Change in 2024 from Spaces of Leadership,” was scheduled at press time for March 27 in Sabine Hall, S117.
The recognition of Women’s History Month as a national month is a relatively recent development, dating back to the early 1980s. This historical context highlights the profound significance of our ongoing efforts to celebrate and honor the contributions of women in our society.
The journey began when President Jimmy Carter issued the first presidential proclamation declaring National Women’s History Week in March 1980. A year later, Congress established it as a national celebration. The National Women’s History Project petitioned Congress six years later to extend the celebration to the entire month of March, a significant step in recognizing and honoring women’s contributions to our society.
As Angela Davis said, “To understand how society functions, you must understand the relationship between the men and the women.” This quote sheds light on the importance of gender dynamics in our society and the need for a balanced and equal relationship between men and women. Women’s History Month is a reminder that women have always broken through barriers that helped shape the America we live in today.