70 °
    70 °
    70 °
    73 °
    76 °
    77 °
    77 °
    76 °
    75 °
    74 °
    73 °
    72 °
    71 °
    71 °
    70 °
    69 °
    70 °
    70 °
    70 °
    70 °
    70 °
    70 °
    71 °
    73 °
    75 °
April 26
79°/ 69°
Moderate rain
April 27
82°/ 69°
April 28
72°/ 67°
Moderate rain

Students prepare for SkillsUSA competitions

Staff Photoillustration/Aislyn Smith
SkillsUSA is a way for students to test their skills and compete in a professional setting.

In a testament to their dedication and skill, students from Richland Campus are making waves at the 2024 SkillsUSA competition.
SkillsUSA, a renowned career and technical student organization, serves as a platform for students to sharpen their abilities, develop leadership skills and gain access to numerous opportunities.
This year’s event has Richland participants alongside the other Dallas College campuses delving into diverse categories ranging from community service to welding.
Last year’s success at SkillsUSA is pushing students to aim even higher this time around. Dallas College saw a surge in medal count with participants bringing home a total of 44 medals — 76% increase from the previous year.
Among these were 21 gold, 15 silver and eight bronze medals, underscoring the students’ talent and commitment.
This year’s group from Richland is planning on continuing this legacy, with students competing for top honors in categories such as customer service, prepared speech and job interview. SkillsUSA isn’t just about showcasing individual skills; it’s about teamwork, leader-ship development and fostering a community of excellence.
For Richland students, it’s an opportunity not only to demonstrate their abilities but also to network with professionals, access scholarships and reinforce their employability skills.
“We try to do a streaming video, so moms, dads and girlfriends can watch and see. It is really fun,” said Noeli Biggs, senior manager at Dallas College.
The stakes are high, with the award winners advancing to the SkillsUSA National Leader-ship and Skills Conference in Atlanta in June.
For these students, it’s not just about winning, it’s about representing Dallas College Richland Campus on a national stage, showcasing their talents to a wider audience and seizing the opportunities that SkillsUSA has to offer.