81 °
    82 °
    82 °
    82 °
    80 °
    78 °
    75 °
    73 °
    72 °
    70 °
    69 °
    68 °
    67 °
    66 °
    66 °
    65 °
    65 °
    65 °
    67 °
    69 °
    72 °
    75 °
    78 °
    80 °
    82 °
April 29
81°/ 63°
Sunny
April 30
83°/ 64°
Patchy rain nearby
May 1
83°/ 68°
Patchy rain nearby

SGA candidates meet at Richland

Richland Student Government Association met April 2 for a forum-style panel to answer questions students had on the current SGA election.
The event happened in El Paso Hall and featured eight students out of the 17 who are running in the upcoming election on April 8. The two-hour forum was mediated by students Kent Ho and Miriam Almodham.
What are some of your plans once elected? That was one of the first questions asked to candidates.
The answers varied greatly. It was clear students led with what was most important to them. On one end you had problems like international student issues, scholarships and community and on the other end issues like technology availability on campus.

SGA Candidate Keyerria West speaks to students at the SGA Candidate Forum on April 2. (Staff Photo/Aislyn Smith)

There are various positions the campaigning students are running for, including but not limited to, president, vice president and senator positions.
It was mentioned that some are uncontested seats, meaning no one else running for that position. However, some candidates were going for the same position.
Some are running for reelection and some first-time candidates such as Keyerria West, Faith Rachel and Diane Ortiz who are currently members of SGA.
Someone becomes an SGA “member” after attending at least three meetings, according to Shannon Adams, SGA treasurer. To become an officer, students must be elected just like the students who are currently campaigning for other SGA positions.
Students also said how they got involved in SGA and their college journeys so far. They also gave some advice to students in the audience who may want to run for office themselves.
The event did gain traction from students at the one-hour mark of the forum. Several students seated along the large El Paso windows began getting engaged. One student asked, “Do I need anything to vote? Is there any restrictions if I can vote?”
Kelly Sonnanstine, SGA adviser said, “You just have to be a student.” Candidates even engaged each other in the end, asking questions regarding their candidacy.
At press time, voting was set to begin April 8. Students may vote in person or online through eConnect and going to a SharePoint document from SGA. Elections end April 12.