70 °
    70 °
    70 °
    70 °
    70 °
    70 °
    73 °
    76 °
    77 °
    77 °
    76 °
    75 °
    74 °
    73 °
    72 °
    71 °
    71 °
    70 °
    69 °
    70 °
    70 °
    70 °
    70 °
    70 °
    70 °
April 26
79°/ 69°
Moderate rain
April 27
82°/ 69°
April 28
72°/ 67°
Moderate rain

T-Ducks baseball team defeats Mountain View

Staff Writer Cade Harris

The Richland baseball team combined strong pitching and timely offense to take their conference opener 3-2 at home against Mountain View on Feb. 21.

The pitching from both sides shined in this one as fans were treated to a classic pitcher’s duel. The game did not start like that, though. Mountain View got out to a quick start scoring in the first inning.

Richland responded in the bottom of the second inning putting up a pair of runs to go out in front. Mountain View added another run in the fourth to tie the game up. It remained tied until Richland scored the decisive run in the bottom of the seventh.

T.J. Pound led the T-Ducks offensively going 3-for-4 with an RBI and a run scored. Kole Mayberry went 1-for-3 with an RBI and a run scored. Brad Mican also had a nice day at the plate going 2-for-4.

Richland totaled three runs on 10 hits, striking out seven times.

Michael Gresham got the start on the mound for the T-Ducks throwing seven innings, giving up two runs on five hits, while also striking out seven and earning the win. Andrew Kuni came on in relief throwing an inning and a third giving up no runs on only one hit and striking out three.

Sam Tolin pitched two-thirds of an inning allowing no runs on no hits and earning the save.

The Richland pitching staff allowed two runs on six hits, striking out 10 Mountain View batters. The T-Ducks did not allow one walk for the entire game. Richland committed only one error in the field.

For Mountain View offensively, Keaton King went 1-for-2 with a solo home run. Chase Rozell went 1-for-4 on the day with an RBI. Renard Smith and Aaron Prince each went 1-for-4 on the day.

Mountain View totaled two runs on six hits for the day. 

Jorge Guerra got the start on the mound for Mountain View, throwing five innings giving up two runs, none earned, on seven hits while striking out two. Brody Wilson came on in relief throwing three innings and allowing one run on three hits, striking out five and being charged with the loss.

Mountain View’s pitching staff only gave up one earned run on 10 hits, striking out seven Richland batters. Mountain View committed three errors in the field.

Mountain View got the scoring started in the top of the first on a Rozell RBI double into the left-center gap. Gresham immediately responded from giving up an early run by pitching an immaculate top of the second inning.

Richland also put a pair of runs on the board in the bottom of the second, inning on a Pound RBI triple to right-center. He scored on a bad throw by the outfielder trying to get him out at third. King tied the game on one swing of the bat in the top of the fourth, hitting a solo home run to right field.

From then on out it would be an exciting pitchers’ duel. Richland scored the go-ahead and eventually decisive run in the bottom of the seventh on a sacrifice fly from Mayberry. Kuni came out to pitch the ninth inning, needing only three outs to secure the victory. Kuni was pulled after getting the first out and allowing a runner to reach on an error.

Tolin entered the game and immediately picked the runner off at first then got a Mountain View hitter to ground out and end the game.

Richland improved to 9-5 on the season and 1-0 in conference play. Mountain View fell to 5-5 on the season and 0-1 in conference play.

At press time, Richland was scheduled to continue their conference campaign on March 2 taking on Cedar Valley at home before playing away games at Cedar Valley March 5 and March 6.