73 °
    72 °
    71 °
    70 °
    70 °
    69 °
    69 °
    69 °
    69 °
    69 °
    69 °
    70 °
    70 °
    71 °
    72 °
    74 °
    76 °
    79 °
    79 °
    80 °
    81 °
    81 °
    80 °
    77 °
    75 °
April 26
78°/ 69°
Moderate rain
April 27
81°/ 68°
Moderate rain
April 28
79°/ 65°
Moderate rain

North Texas welcomes Rangers home

Arlington is site of world champions’ parade
Staff Photo/Astrid Custano
A Rangers flag is flown in celebration at their World Series victory parade in Arlington.

The Texas Rangers wiped out the Arizona Diamondbacks and became World Series champions on Nov. 1. This is their first World Series title in their 63-year franchise history.
Once the trophy had been hefted skyward, it was time to celebrate the Rangers big win in Arlington. An estimated 500,000 to 700,000 fans gathered and encircled the Arlington Entertainment District on Nov. 3 .
It was a celebration to remember. Although this was the team’s first ever parade, it was one for the books. Fans camped out overnight as they were preparing for the parade to secure great viewing/cheer spots. The team had expected a massive number of fans to arrive and cheer them on.
It is common for team parades to l have team players in one large bus. In this case, however, every player made an appearance individually with their own families. Arlington ISD gathered cheer/band members from local high schools to start the parade and get the fans excited as their very own Texas Ranger players were soon to arrive.
Many cheerleaders and first responders were given the opportunity to pass around Rangers swag to fans. A variety of age groups were in attendance from newborns to senior citizens. It was a time to remember.
Team manager Bruce Bochy shared his excitement of this huge career win and said he would like to do it all over again. Players all made statements and sentimental gestures to fans to show their appreciation and love to all. Shortstop Corey Seager, shortly after being named the World Series MVP for the second time, ended his speech by having a laugh and aiming a couple of words to the Houston Astros. “Everyone was wondering what would happen if the Rangers didn’t win the World Series. I guess we will never know.” That is likely to fan the flames of the rivalry between the Rangers and the Houston Astros.
The parade took place only two days after the Rangers took the World Series title. Arlington PD had to think fast about how the event would be coordinated, and that they did. Many fans were a bit disappointed with the turnout due to the visibility and size of the parade. The trucks used for each player with his family and guests were non-elevated trucks, which prevented many from having a clear view of the players. Buildings nearby had their rooftops filled with fans for a bird’s-eye view. It was the No. 1 issue for parade viewing. Although this was the first ever World Series title the Rangers have received, fans hope there can be another title in the next couple of years with better accommodations.
Overall, this parade brought joy to many Rangers fans as they witnessed history!