77 °
    75 °
    73 °
    71 °
    70 °
    69 °
    68 °
    67 °
    66 °
    66 °
    65 °
    64 °
    65 °
    67 °
    69 °
    72 °
    75 °
    78 °
    80 °
    81 °
    82 °
    82 °
    82 °
    81 °
    78 °
April 29
82°/ 63°
Sunny
April 30
84°/ 64°
Sunny
80°/ 69°
Moderate rain

Richland clobbers Cedar Valley

T-Ducks burn the Suns for 19 runs in seven innings
T-Duck Seth Markham takes on a Cedar Valley pitcher. (Staff Photo/Jorge Sanchez)

In a three-game sweep of Cedar Valley, Richland’s Thunderducks schorched the Suns in all of them, starting with a 19-9 seven inning win on day one.
The Suns scored a few runs early on but Richland consistently put up great numbers in the middle innings while the Suns struggled to put anything on the board for most of the later innings.
The top of the first and second innings played out with two single runs scored by the Suns in each inning. The T-Ducks would not manage to get anything in the first but plated three runs in the bottom of the second.
After a scoreless third inning for both teams, Richland bats exploded with 16 runs in four innings. The Suns struggled with hitting and pitching as the Thunderducks consistently got multiple players on base in the late innings.
At the top of the seventh, the Suns put up their best effort, managing seven runs in the last inning played. That trimmed the lead to seven, but the T- Duck put three more runs on the board ending the game.
Even being outscored in the last inning, the T-Ducks seemed well prepared for what Cedar Valley could bring.
Richland right-handed pitcher Daniel Deaton, a freshman, said during warm-ups before the game, “They got really good pitchers. This game, our hitters … we’ve been practicing all week for this so we should be good to go.”
Deaton pitched four innings, more than anybody else on the team. Jacob Smoot, a red-shirt sophomore recently named pitcher of the week, did not play as it was a rest week. He had comments before the game as well. “Our offense is No. 1 one in the nation for a reason, we trust them.”
Recent Top Hitter of the week Trey Smith was out this game with a pulled hamstring injury but expects to be back in two days.
“I’m pretty confident with our team, that we can take three out of three,” Smith said. The Dallas Athletic Conference currently ranks Richland No. 2 behind Dallas College Eastfield Campus.
Smoot gave some insight regarding the current conference race.
“Next week starts the second half of conference. Second half, it’s a win no matter what because we’re trying to get home field advantage for the tournament” Smoot said.