74 °
    75 °
    77 °
    78 °
    78 °
    79 °
    77 °
    74 °
    71 °
    70 °
    69 °
    68 °
    67 °
    67 °
    66 °
    66 °
    65 °
    65 °
    65 °
    65 °
    65 °
    65 °
    66 °
    67 °
    69 °
79°/ 68°
Heavy rain
76°/ 65°
Moderate rain
85°/ 65°

Tennis Club stages a spontaneous comeback

Richland campus team hitting the courts again
Members of the Dallas College Richland Tennis Club are back on the court once again. (Staff Photo/Tracey Nicholas)

Dallas College Richland Campus has witnessed a triumphant revival of its tennis club. Thanks to the determined efforts of three dedicated students, Philip Mai, Emily Bennett and Nicholas Mejia, tennis is back at Richland, and it’s better than ever. They are determined to rekindle the love for tennis on campus.
For those who have been on campus for a while, memories of the tennis club pre-COVID-19 are still vivid.
It was in the wake of this setback that Mai, Bennett and Mejia emerged as the driving forces behind the club’s revival.
Bennet, one of the key organizers of the revived club, shared insights into their journey.
“The club used to exist before COVID,” she said. “Once the pandemic hit there wasn’t enough plays, people to play. My friend Philip, I was the one who taught him how to play, was like ‘Hey! I kind of want to build a club’ so we decided we wanted to bring it back, so Phillip was the one who coordinated everything, and then me and Nicholas were just the one’s (sic) the people who helped.”
Mai, the mastermind behind the club’s resurrection, elaborated on his motivation. He said the previous club had ceased operations due to the pandemic, leading to a shortage of tennis opportunities on campus. His vision for the revived club is clear; to create a vibrant, welcoming space where new players can learn, have fun and all without any financial burden.
“There was a club here at Richland a few years ago,” Mai said, “but it was shut down after COVID. Last semester, I went to the courts to play with Emily, and I noticed we had 10 courts, but no one was playing. I thought, ‘What’s wrong here? Where’s the tennis team?’ So, I inquired around and learned that it had been shut down for the semester.
“I realized that I had enough experience in the sport, so I decided to start a club and see how things go. I wanted to kick-start tennis at Richland again. Plus, I wanted to provide an opportunity for new players who didn’t have anywhere to play. That’s my main reason for starting this club.”
The third pillar of the Tennis Club, Mejia, brings valuable tennis coaching experience to the table, ensuring that players of all skill levels have access to top-notch guidance.
Whether you’re a tennis novice looking to learn the ropes, an intermediate player seeking to sharpen your skills or a seasoned pro itching for some friendly competition, the Rich-land Tennis Club offers an opportunity to do just that.
With a group of enthusiastic and welcoming individuals eager to challenge and engage, Richland students are invited to step onto the court and ask themselves: “Are you game?”