77 °
    76 °
    75 °
    73 °
    72 °
    71 °
    70 °
    70 °
    69 °
    69 °
    69 °
    69 °
    69 °
    69 °
    70 °
    70 °
    71 °
    72 °
    74 °
    76 °
    79 °
    79 °
    80 °
    81 °
    81 °
April 26
78°/ 69°
Moderate rain
April 27
81°/ 68°
April 28
79°/ 62°
Moderate rain

Is Travis Kelce experiencing the terrible twos?

Chiefs’ champion tight end throws childish tantrums
Photo/Associated Press
Drue Tranquill, left, Travis Kelce celebrate Super Bowl victory.

Travis Kelce, a standout figure in the world of football, found himself at the center of attention during the recent Super Bowl. Known for his energetic performances on the field, Kelce’s emotions spilled over.
On their podcast “New Heights,” the Kelce brothers Travis and Jason revisited the moment when Travis lost his cool with Kansas City Chiefs coach Andy Reid.
When Kelce was seen shoving and yelling at his coach, Reid, during the Super Bowl on Feb. 11, it provoked outrage. For the second year in a row, the Chiefs prevailed in the game, but it didn’t come easily, and Kelce was clearly frustrated.
In the second quarter against the San Francisco 49ers, trailing 3-0, Reid substitute Kelce after the team lost possession near the end zone of their opponent. Kelce was clearly incensed by this choice and rushed over to confront his 65-year-old coach. After knocking Reid off balance, the sports star was seen shouting aggressively in Reid’s face as he tried to avoid making eye contact.

Staff Cartoon/Jerry Weiss

Even though Jerick McKinnon, Kelce’s teammate, eventually pulled him away from their coach, Kelce’s rage persisted as he hit his helmet against the bench from the sidelines. The celebrity was accused of making an embarrassing and shameful display by throwing a tantrum and acting disrespectfully. Reflecting on the incident, Kelce said, “Sometimes those emotions get away from me, man, and that’s been the battle of my career.”
Known for his raw emotion and spirited demeanor, Kelce’s behavior has been scrutinized before. He was reprimanded by fans just a month earlier after he was seen flinging rival football player Justin Tucker’s possessions across the field during a warmup.
He made headlines when the Chiefs played the Las Vegas Raiders on Christmas Day, a game they lost. Kelce was seen tossing his helmet over the sidelines at the end of the first half, and Reid appeared to be berating him for it.
Kelce was also seen on camera pushing defensive tackle Jerry Tillery and defensive back Amik Robertson of the Las Vegas Raiders in November. These antics also date back years. In 2017, Kelce was caught on camera shoving a Pittsburgh Steelers player to the ground folowing a pass blitz.
However, amidst the focus on Travis’s personal life and image due to his relationship with music superstar Taylor Swift, it’s essential not to forget his profession. As a professional football player, Kelce operates in an industry where physicality and aggression are integral. The broader context of football culture, including concerns about player safety, activism and the commercialization of the sport, adds layers to understanding his behavior.
Emotional outbursts among athletes are not uncommon. Whether directed at opponents, teammates or coaches, and extend beyond football to other sports such as hockey and basketball. While this doesn’t excuse Kelce’s behavior, it underscores the complex dynamics at play in professional sports.
Acknowledging his actions without making excuses, Travis and his brother Jason engaged in honest discussions on their podcast where they recognized the challenges of managing emotions in a high-stakes, high-pressure environment. As Jason emphasized, achieving greatness often requires a level of intensity and passion that may appear irrational to outsiders.