77 °
    76 °
    75 °
    75 °
    75 °
    74 °
    75 °
    77 °
    79 °
    81 °
    84 °
    86 °
    89 °
    90 °
    89 °
    88 °
    87 °
    86 °
    85 °
    83 °
    81 °
    79 °
    77 °
    75 °
    74 °
July 25
91°/ 74°
Partly Cloudy
July 26
86°/ 71°
July 27
84°/ 73°

Richland’s geese welcome new arrivals

Baby goslings explore the campus while adult Canada geese keep a watchful eye on their hatchlings. (Staff Photos/Aislyn Smith)

There’s an extra dose of cuteness on the Richland Campus this season! The Canada geese that made their nests here earlier this spring now have a fluffy family of goslings. These adorable little creatures are exploring the campus, adding a touch of heartwarming charm to our daily lives. The sight of baby geese waddling behind their protective parents is a reminder of the wonders of nature happening right in our midst.

“The ducks and geese on campus are the reason I chose coming to Richland instead of going to El Centro. I still find it so cool that it’s almost as if the geese and their babies are like students, too,” Richland student Hannah Larrak said.

While we’re all excited to see these new additions, it’s important to remember that we share this campus with them and need to be respectful guests in their space.

Try to admire from afar. It’s tempting to get close but give the geese families plenty of room to roam.

Watch your step. Goslings are small and can be easily missed. Be careful where you walk in grassy areas.

The parent goose watches carefully as its gosling explores the habitat.

Also, resist the urge to feed. Human food can harm geese. It’s best to let them stick to their natural diet.

Keep your pets under control. Dogs should always be on a leash and shouldn’t be allowed to chase or bother the geese.

And finally, call for help if needed. If you see an injured gosling or notice a goose behaving aggressively, contact campus police.

“We still want students to respect the wild- life”, said Capt. Mark Lozano from Richland’s Police Department.

Let’s welcome these feathered friends to our campus community. We can enjoy watching them grow, take photos from a distance and do our part to ensure they have a safe and happy home on Richland Campus.