77 °
    78 °
    78 °
    77 °
    76 °
    74 °
    73 °
    72 °
    72 °
    71 °
    70 °
    69 °
    69 °
    68 °
    68 °
    68 °
    68 °
    68 °
    69 °
    70 °
    70 °
    70 °
    71 °
    71 °
    73 °
79°/ 68°
Moderate rain
76°/ 68°
Moderate rain
72°/ 63°
Heavy rain

Congressional candidates to debate at Richland

Texas Democrats to discuss issues in Fannin Performance Hall
Staff Photo/Aislyn Smith
The debates will be held in Fannin Performance Hall.

In a collaboration that promises to ignite political passion, Richardson Area Democrats (RAD), has partnered with the Student Government Association of Dallas College, Richland Campus, to present not one but two Democratic congressional debates on Jan. 27 at Fannin Performance Hall. Organizers are expecting an afternoon of political engagement and spirited discussions.

The first debate, from 2 p.m. to 3 p.m., will showcase the Senate District 16 debate. The stage is set for an intense exchange between Democrat Incumbent Sen. Nathan Johnson and fellow Democrat Rep. Victoria Neave Criado. Curating the conversation will be Kendall Scudder, a recognized podcaster and the vice chair for finance of the Texas Democratic Party. This debate promises to delve deep into the issues resonating within Senate District 16.

Following swiftly, the Congressional District 24 debate will unfold from 3 p.m. to 4 p.m. featuring Democratic candidates Francine Ly and Sam Eppler. Guiding the discourse will be Sean McCaffity, an attorney and former Congressional candidate. This segment is expected to provide voters an opportunity to understand the visions these candidates hold for Congressional District 24.

Both debates will be live streamed on You-Tube for those unable to attend in person, ensuring that it reaches a broader audience. Co-sponsors, including groups Preston Hollow Democrats, Lake Highland White Rock Democrats and Progress Texas, underscore the collaborative spirit of the event.

This isn’t just about politics; it’s an experience inviting everyone to be a part of the conversation. Organizers are predicting an eventful afternoon – a chance to witness, engage and participate in the democratic process at its finest.