73 °
    74 °
    75 °
    77 °
    78 °
    78 °
    79 °
    77 °
    74 °
    71 °
    70 °
    69 °
    68 °
    67 °
    67 °
    66 °
    66 °
    65 °
    65 °
    65 °
    65 °
    65 °
    65 °
    66 °
    67 °
May 16
79°/ 68°
Heavy rain
May 17
76°/ 65°
Moderate rain
May 18
85°/ 65°
Patchy rain nearby

SGA election results announced

The new officers for the SGA of Richland holding their certificates for their positions. (Staff Photo/Jason Tejeda)

As the month of September came to an end, so did the election for the Student Government Association with new elected officials being announced.
In the recent election Richland Campus at Dallas College, the campus community gathered to select newly elected officials.
After a spirited campaign, the results were announced, revealing a diverse and dedicated group of individuals ready to represent the student body.
Even though given the time to campaign, most contestants went uncontested, the new officials are Yonata Kidane for Senate chair, Angelo Diaz, historian, Lan Vu senator at large for student success, Malak Elkady, senator at large for community and Eliwinjuka Mwakajumba, who goes by Elly, senator at large for Early College High School, Two were put in as last-minute fill-ins elected by the student government themselves.
That being Mannie Kisin, senator at large for Workforce Advancement and Brook Tilahun, senator at large for academic affairs. Tony Ramirez, current student government president, said he is “very proud of these student leaders who have committed themselves to representing the students of Richland.”
He laid out the future intentions of the SGA.
“We plan to continue advocating for the rights of every student, while working to improve campus life” Ramirez said.
Several of the elected officials gave their opinions on the election and their thanks after getting elected. Kidane, elected for senate chair, said, “I’m glad I have the opportunity to be the voice of the students!” Angelo Diaz, elected as historian, said, “I shall be their champion in creating graphics and recording moments in history. Thank you.” Jason Tejeda, who was elected for parliamentarian, said his wish is to ‘’collaborate with other officials to make Richland Campus better for all students.”
Elkady, elected for senator at large for the community, said she felt “honored to be in that position” and how she hopes to “help students in the future the way other students helped me out in the Richland community,” adding, “That’s why I chose to run for senator.
With the election concluded and new officials chosen, Richland campus can expect changes in student life shortly. The newly elected officials plan to make the Richland Campus more engaging for students, which will undoubtedly have a significant impact on their educational careers as one of the largest student populations throughout the seven campuses of Dallas College.