65 °
    64 °
    64 °
    63 °
    63 °
    62 °
    61 °
    62 °
    63 °
    65 °
    68 °
    70 °
    72 °
    74 °
    75 °
    75 °
    75 °
    75 °
    73 °
    71 °
    69 °
    67 °
    66 °
    65 °
83°/ 66°
Heavy rain
76°/ 61°
Sunny
70°/ 60°

Cooking Demo held at Food Pantry

Culinary creativity and flavorful food yields delicious meals

In a mix of culinary creativity and community service, Richland Campus has been hosting a recurring event– the Cooking Demo. Led by the Student Government Association’s co-adviser, Vida Davis, and orchestrated by the duo of Lan Ba Vu, senator at large for student success, and Emanuel Kisin, senator at large for workforce and advancement, this series has taken the campus by storm.

Lan Vu demonstrates how to cook Food Pantry items on Nov. 15. (Staff Photo/Tracey Nicholas)

The unique twist? All the ingredients showcased during these cooking demonstrations are sourced from the campus’s very own Food Pantry.
Davis conceptualized the idea to not only educate students about cooking but also to highlight the resources available at the Pantry. This innovative approach allows students to learn how to whip up great dishes using items they can easily access for free.
Each event is a live cooking show, with Ba Vu and Kisin taking center stage.
They introduce the selected recipe for the day, showing the ingredients students can grab from the Pantry during their next visit. They then cook the meal in real-time, providing step-by-step narration that turns the process into an engaging and educational experience.
“I live alone, so I’ve been cooking for my-self for quite a while. I know it can be a struggle sometimes and that’s why I’m glad I can contribute and teach others simple yet delicious recipes,” Vu said.
The best part, however, is that attendees not only get to witness the making of the meal but also get a taste of the dish they’ve just learned to prepare. Kisin emphasized that this is his “favorite part because students get to see how easy it is to make a tasty and nutritious meal.” The Cooking Demo series does not stick to a fixed location. Flyers distributed around cam-pus and displayed at El Paso Hall provide the essential details – the where and when of the next culinary adventure.
As the semester ends, officials at the SGA promise that the Cooking Demo series is not coming to an end.
Plans are already in motion for a continuation into the next semester, ensuring that Richland students can look forward to more cooking demos that blend education, community and, of course, delicious flavors.
Interested students should keep an eye out for those flyers and get ready to elevate their cooking skills with the Cooking Demo series. It’s where Pantry staples transform into delicious meals.