67 °
    66 °
    65 °
    64 °
    64 °
    63 °
    63 °
    62 °
    61 °
    62 °
    63 °
    65 °
    68 °
    70 °
    72 °
    74 °
    75 °
    75 °
    75 °
    75 °
    73 °
    71 °
    69 °
    67 °
    66 °
83°/ 66°
Heavy rain
76°/ 61°
Sunny
70°/ 60°

Indulging sweetness in Richardson

Sugar-Sweets and Gelato is a must-visit local dessert joint
Knafeh is one of the many authentic Arabic desserts that can be tried at Sugar-Sweets and Gelato. (Staff Photo/Malak Elkady)

If you’re a dessert lover, Sugar-Sweets and Gelato in Richardson is a must-visit spot. This place is not your run-of-the-mill dessert joint – it’s spacious and somewhat fancy creating an inviting ambiance, perfect for quality time with friends or family. A charming outdoor area and an indoor photo booth add an extra layer of appeal to the venue.
One of the most alluring things about Sugar is that they’ve got a massive variety of desserts. They have halal options as well. So, if you’re into knafeh or baklava and you’re looking for a sweet spot that’s halal friendly, Sugar’s got your back.
The venue’s aesthetic extends beyond its treats, with clean bathrooms and cashiers donning traditional attire, enhancing the overall experience.
While the prices may lean toward the higher end, starting at $5.50 for a small gelato, the portions are generous, and part of the cost can be attributed to the venue’s beauty.
However, a notable hiccup in the experience is the slow service. The shop appears to be understaffed, causing delays, especially during peak hours. Despite a decent line, only one person manned the counter, leading to a longer wait than expected.
The ordering process, primarily through screens, leaves room for improvement. The limited selection on the screens may discourage those who prefer self-service, missing out on the full spectrum of offerings. Expanding the digital menu could enhance the overall customer experience.
Despite the minor setbacks, the culinary journey at Sugar remains a positive one. The knafeh stands out as a star, delivering an authentic crunch, the right amount of syrup and the perfect cheese pull.
Contrary to the shop’s name, the treats aren’t overwhelmingly sugary. The toasted marsh-mallow froyo was a unique, light flavor that is both refreshing and delightful. The pineapple gelato tasted like a bite of fresh fruit.
“I was discouraged when I saw the prices, but the treats didn’t disappoint. I’m especially satisfied because I’m not the biggest dessert person, but I would definitely come here again,” said Yahya Elkady after our shared trip.
Sure, your wallet might feel a bit lighter after a visit, but the tasty treats, the classy vibe and the unique aspects they have make it worth it. If you’ve got some extra cash to burn, Sugar-Sweets and Gelato is a spot you’ll want to hit up for a sweet escape.