80 °
    79 °
    78 °
    76 °
    74 °
    73 °
    71 °
    71 °
    70 °
    68 °
    67 °
    66 °
    66 °
    65 °
    64 °
    65 °
    68 °
    70 °
    73 °
    76 °
    79 °
    81 °
    82 °
    83 °
    84 °
80°/ 62°
Sunny
84°/ 64°
Sunny
81°/ 69°
Moderate rain

Dallas College students, faculty and staff return to campus in masks

While Dallas College students will be able to return to their physical classrooms for the first time since March of 2020, not all will be the same because of the COVID-19 pandemic.

The pandemic has become a much bigger concern lately since the arrival of the Delta variant.

According to information released by the Centers for Disease Control, the Delta variant is twice as contagious and could possibly cause more severe illness in unvaccinated individuals.

Dallas College is preparing students and staff to have a safe environment for work and study.

The latest mask guidance has been posted around campus.      Staff Photo Meshack Mashua

The latest mask guidance has been posted around campus. Staff Photo Meshack Mashua

Alex Lyda, senior director of communications for Dallas College, said that safety within the campuses begins at the individual level. “Students and staff alike need to model behavior that best ensures our collective safety.”

It is recommended that students practice proper cleaning methods such as washing their hands regularly with soap and water for 20 seconds. If hand washing is not an option, hand sanitizer that is 60% alcohol is an accepted alternative.

Social distancing within at least 6 feet is strongly recommended if possible.

On Aug. August 12, Dallas County Judge Clay Jenkins placed a mask mandate in effect for all schools, businesses, child care facilities and county buildings. According to the Associated Press, The Texas Supreme Court overruled the mask mandate decisions made by local and county officials on August 15. Despite the action by the court, Jenkins altered then reinstated the mask mandate. This includes Dallas College and its campuses that must follow the latest mask mandate.

“Under the current countywide mandate, all Dallas College students must wear masks at all campus locations and events,” said Lyda.

The new mandates are under further judicial review and await a court hearing.

Masks should be worn properly by covering both the nose and the mouth, according to Lyda.

While precautions are urged for those who are attending on-campus classes and events, students should also be cautious if they become sick and are worried if they caught the virus.“

If a student feels sick they should consult with their health care professional. To rule out COVID-19, the student should get tested,” Lyda said.

If a student has a positive COVID-19 test, they are encouraged to complete the positive COVID-19 reporting form on eConnect. All information provided to the form is required by law to be kept confidential and secure. Students are also advised to stay in contact with their professors in order to do academic work remotely.

If a student knows that they were within 6 feet of a COVID-19 positive individual for 15 minutes or more, the student should follow CDC guidelines for in quarantine, even if no symptoms are showing.

The pandemic is still far from over and the main defense against it is vaccination. Dallas College will still manage safety during these times. “As long as the pandemic continues, Dallas College will support established safety measures that include being vaccinated, wear-ing masks, social distancing and handwashing,” said Lyda.

In an effort to encourage vaccinations for students, Dallas College is offering financial rewards.

During a virtual session of a board of trustees meeting, Trustee Chair Monica Lira-Bravo addressed efforts regarding the plan to offer a financial incentive for faculty, staff, and the student body of Dallas College.

According to the plan, employees will be compensated $500 and students $200 for receiving the COVID-19 Vaccination.

“We will be using our federal funds [Higher Education Emergency Relief Funds or HEERF program],” said Dallas College Chancellor Joe May, “to provide incentives for both employees and students who choose to get the vaccine.”

Chancellor May continued, “For our employees, [they] will receive a direct deposit of $500 upon being fully vaccinated; our students will receive a maximum of $200, they [students] will receive $100 upon the first [dosage] if they are using either the Pfizer or Moderna shot and then $100 on the second as well.”

“These [guidelines] are according to the U.S. Department of Education’s guidance back in May; it is allowable; this is an intended use of the federal funds so we are using them as they were intended to be used,” said Chancellor May.

COVID-19 vaccinations are available for students who are interested. More information regarding COVID-19 vaccinations provided by Dallas College is at www.dallascollege.edu/coronavirus/pages/vaccination-registration-instructions.aspx.

Chronicle staff writer Ryan Bingham Duff contributed to this article.