71 °
    74 °
    77 °
    80 °
    83 °
    85 °
    87 °
    89 °
    89 °
    88 °
    86 °
    84 °
    82 °
    80 °
    79 °
    77 °
    75 °
    74 °
    73 °
    72 °
    72 °
    71 °
    71 °
    72 °
    74 °
May 18
89°/ 68°
Sunny
May 19
89°/ 70°
Sunny
May 20
88°/ 71°
Sunny

Vaccine passports debated but not implemented –yet

Angela Ly – Managing Editor
Reagan Davis – Staff Writer

As more people get the COVID-19 vaccine and the rate of infection and death decline, questions have arisen about the possibility of vaccination requirements for school and travel. Vaccine passports are essentially evidence to prove an individual has been vaccinated. Whether vaccination passports will be required for international travel is being debated, according to The Associated Press, which also notes there are no plans to make them mandatory in the United States. To date, Dallas College has not made the COVID-19 vaccine a requirement.

Vaccines are voluntary. Critics say vaccine passports would invade personal privacy and security. They may also unfairly benefit countries with greater access to the vaccine. Supporters, however, say vaccine passports could make reopening faster and easier. They could also give parents and international travelers confidence that protocols are being followed.

“I think vaccination passports are a good idea, but when people post them on social media with all their private information showing, it is dangerous,” Bella Kwan, a Richland Campus student, said. “Vaccination passports defiantly serve a purpose, but people should be more careful with sensitive information.”

Dallas County Health and Human Services notes that, as of press time, 390,764 people have been vaccinated against the virus in Dallas County. The county also reports a cumulative total of 258,326 confirmed cases of COVID-19 and 41,703 probable cases with 3,921 Dallas County residents who have died due to the illness, according to its press release.

According to AP, Canada has approved a new variation of the Pfizer vaccine for patients as young as 12 years old. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration is expected to approve the vaccine before the beginning of the next school year. The shot is already authorized for those 16 and older.

“I believe vaccine passports are a reasonable response to a continuing crisis,” said Patrick Moore, Richland government professor. “We already have similar requirements for kids in school – even at Richland, with the Meningitis vaccine requirement – and for international travel. It’s tragic that our national response to the pandemic became so politicized that there are people in America refusing the vaccination solely ‘because it makes liberals mad’ and calling mask-wearing ‘socialism.’”

The proposed passports may incorporate the use of a QR code to protect privacy. According to AP, “The certificates are still being developed, and how and whether they’ll be used could vary widely around the world.”

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott is opposed to the idea and issued an executive order prohibiting government-mandated vaccine passports in Texas.

“Every day, Texans are returning to normal life as more people get the safe and effective COVID-19 vaccine,” Abbott said in a press release. “But, as I’ve said all along, these vaccines are always voluntary and never forced.”

Richland government professor Dr. Raymond Sandoval supports the use of vaccine passports as a means of planning health needs with exceptions “due to ideology (not opinions) and medical issues.

“I believe the government could make vaccinations mandatory based on the primary obligation of the government for national defense and security. That trumps certain claims of choice and liberty,” Sandoval said.

“I do not think all people realize that what we do as individuals have decided impact on others. This is a consequence of such an individualized society.”

COVID-19 vaccines are available at the Fair Park and Potter’s House vaccination hubs in Dallas County. For more information or to schedule an appointment, visit www.dallascounty.org/covid-19/covid-19-vaccination.php.

Dallas College COVID-19 protocol is available at www.dallascounty.org/covid-19/covid-19-vaccination.php.