70 °
    70 °
    70 °
    70 °
    70 °
    72 °
    75 °
    77 °
    80 °
    80 °
    80 °
    80 °
    79 °
    79 °
    77 °
    76 °
    74 °
    73 °
    72 °
    71 °
    71 °
    71 °
    71 °
    71 °
    70 °
April 27
82°/ 68°
Moderate rain
April 28
79°/ 64°
Moderate rain
April 29
87°/ 63°
Sunny

‘Argylle’ is purrfectly funny

Henry Cavill as Argylle and Dua Lipa as Lagrange together under the spotlight. (Photo/IMDB)

For all intents and purposes, “Argylle” is just a fun romp. Director Matthew Vaughn interlaces comedic tidbits with the violence while sending a wink-wink to the viewers.

Vaughn also directed the action-adventure comedy “Kingsman: The Secret Service” in 2014.  In this one, we have Bryce Dallas Howard’s Elly Conway, a fiction writer.  Her written words turn out to be more truth than fiction.

Conway is overseas promoting her new works, a book and a movie.

She befriends Aidan Wilde (Sam Rockwell), who’s a bonafide protagonist to the extreme. Wilde protects Conway from the baddies who are chasing her and her cat.

Ruth (Catherine O’Hara), Conway’s mom, accuses her daughter of being on drugs because of all her crazy dilemmas and behavior.

Henry Cavill (“Justice League”) plays the title character. Argylle comes and goes during the fight sequences in a mysterious manner. Suffice it to say, fists do fly.

This action-fantasy with comedy reminds me of what Vaughn did with “Kingsman:  The Secret Service” a decade earlier. Like “Kingsman,” this one put a smile on my face throughout.  It’s a jovial entry.  In some ways, “Argylle” is an old-fashioned spy caper.  It’s a throwback to Alfred Hitchcock’s classic “To Catch a Thief ” of 1955.

Viewers should know it runs a shade over two hours.  You likely won’t want to leave because you’ll be so engaged in the action.

There are plenty of spy shenanigans throughout. Another treat is the big names who co-star.

The list includes Richard E. Grant, John Cena, Bryan Cranston, Dua Lipa and Samuel L. Jackson.
This romp is best enjoyed on the big screen because of the impressive action sequences throughout the story.  I was completely entertained by this fast-paced, full-throttle actioner.

Just so readers know, the cat was not harmed in any way, shape or form.