86 °
    88 °
    90 °
    91 °
    90 °
    88 °
    85 °
    81 °
    79 °
    78 °
    76 °
    74 °
    72 °
    70 °
    69 °
    68 °
    67 °
    66 °
    66 °
    66 °
    67 °
    69 °
    71 °
    72 °
    73 °
91°/ 74°
80°/ 65°
Moderate rain
76°/ 61°
Partly Cloudy

‘The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes’

Prequel catching fire with ‘Hunger Games’ fans
Lucretius ‘Lucky’ Flickerman (Jason Schwartzman) introduces the tenth annual Hunger Games with mentors of the tributes. (Photo/IMDB)

“The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes” is out in theaters and is quickly catching fire with its popularity, and I for one can’t disagree.

Having watched and read the books for this series, the anticipation was unbearable after the producers announced the creation of this movie, and we, the fans, were not let down. “The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes” was brought to life from the books with the masterful use of colors, emotions and song, not to mention the actors themselves and their performances.

The movie features Lucy Gray Baird played by Rachel Zegler and Coriolanus Snow portrayed by Tom Blyth, both of whom battle against society and their own natures to find the path meant for them. The movie overall fits just as well into the original ones.
Had I not just watched the movie on opening night, I would have thought it came out in 2015 after the release of “The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 2”. The new movie is heartbreaking and humorous, heart-racing and serious, which adds to the wildness that can only be found in the Capitol.
The colors have a big part in the story as they tell the audience bits and pieces without saying outright.

It begins when Lucy Gray’s name is called as a tribute, and the camera pans wide, showing one rainbow-dressed girl in a sea of gray. And boy she does not hesitate as she walks up to the stage, and she sings her heart out in front of everyone in the nation.

Snakes are a common theme throughout the movie, like when Lucy Gray drops one down the dress of a rival in District 12, or the finale of the games when a giant case drops in the center of the arena, releasing thousands of multicolored and deadly vipers. The way I always thought of it, that color is a tool used by creatures to showcase how deadly they are, and Lucy Gray is no exception, using her voice and her wits to kill other tributes and stay alive.

The callbacks to the original movies made this film even better in my opinion. Not only did it make me immediately want to go back and rewatch them, but it got my mind turning with theories from the books and had me watching from the edge of my seat for more.

From Lucy Gray’s “The Hanging Tree” song to her special spot in the woods of District 12, this movie explained the mysteries from the original series and eluded to more.

Most importantly is the story of Coriolanus Snow, or as most might know him, President Snow. He was the biggest villain in the original books and movies, and yet somehow “The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes” still manages to make you like the guy.

Maybe it’s because you begin to realize what he grew up with in the war, or how hard he worked to keep his family and himself alive. Maybe it’s the way he loves Lucy Gray.

Either way, when he chooses the dark side, so to speak, it makes the betrayal all the worse. You begin to understand just how President Snow came to be. At the end of the movie, when he returns to the Capitol to take his place, it’s revealed that the supposed betrayal that was committed against him may not have been real at all.

Overall, this movie is a masterpiece. I may be biased considering I love these books and movies. However, there have been many times when the movies have failed to truly bring the books to life.

This is not one of those times. And I think one of the best parts of this movie is that since it’s a prequel to the original series, even those who haven’t watched or read “The Hunger Games” can enjoy this movie, and watch the original ones without any issues.

Grade: A+