79 °
    80 °
    80 °
    79 °
    78 °
    76 °
    75 °
    73 °
    72 °
    71 °
    71 °
    71 °
    71 °
    71 °
    71 °
    70 °
    69 °
    68 °
    68 °
    69 °
    69 °
    71 °
    73 °
    75 °
    77 °
April 27
81°/ 68°
Moderate rain
April 28
79°/ 67°
Moderate rain
April 29
85°/ 64°
Sunny

Crossing Cultures meets the Holidays for Thanksgiving

Staff Photo/Aislyn Smith
Students attend a recent Crossing Cultures event.

In an effort to foster a sense of unity and understanding among college students from diverse backgrounds, the Baptist Student Ministry, or BSM, at Richland is gearing up for its last events with Crossing Cultures this semester. This unique initiative, born out of the collaborative spirit of the Texas BSM and local churches across Dallas County, seeks to teach students about the different cultures of the world, and foster meaningful conversations with the different people in the school.
The Dallas BSM is taking a creative approach this Thanksgiving, hosting a holiday meal in which students can try different foods and learn about the different holidays celebrated around the world. Crossing Culture’s Holidays celebration is not just an event, it’s a platform where students can explore the diversity of global traditions, share their own holiday customs and connect with peers from various cultural backgrounds.
At the heart of Crossing Cultures is the intention to provide education on cultures worldwide. The events act as a forum for students to delve into the variety of traditions that people from different cultures practice, including holidays.
From Diwali to Hanukkah, Christmas to Eid, the Holidays event aims to shed light on the significance of these celebrations and create an atmosphere of mutual respect and appreciation.
This series of events also serves as a plat-form for open dialogue about multiculturalism in society.
Attendees will have the chance to engage in meaningful conversations about the challenges and rewards of living in a multicultural world. To make the experience even more enriching attendees will be treated to complimentary meals.
Crossing Cultures is set to become a recurring series of events every semester, so students are encouraged to attend as often as possible. Just keep an eye out for updates from the Office of Student Life and Engagement, or posters around the school.