77 °
    76 °
    74 °
    73 °
    72 °
    71 °
    70 °
    69 °
    69 °
    68 °
    69 °
    69 °
    69 °
    69 °
    71 °
    71 °
    74 °
    76 °
    77 °
    74 °
    72 °
    68 °
    67 °
    66 °
    66 °
86°/ 65°
Sunny
78°/ 65°
Moderate rain
82°/ 66°

Nadal wins 21st Grand Slam, Barty remains top ranked woman

Staff Writer David Acosta

The 2022 Australian Open was spectacular in which current world No. 1 Ashleigh Barty beat American Danielle Collins while sixth ranked Rafael Nadal outlasted second seeded and 2021 US Open Champion Daniil Medvedev. Top players Venus and Serena Williams, Roger Federer and 2020 US Open Champion Dominic Theim were unable to participate due to injuries.

Another top player, Novak Djokovic, was not allowed to participate in the Open tournament for failing to meet the country’s specific vaccination requirements for entry, according to the Associated Press. He was found to be unvaccinated despite being granted a medical exemption by a team of Australian doctors after Djokovic claimed he tested positive in late December, according to the Associated Press. Djokovic was deported from Australia on Jan. 16.

The championships took place at Rod Laver Arena in Melbourne, Australia. Although the tournament commenced with a crowd of 50% occupancy because of rising COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations, the finals allowed for the crowd to be at full capacity. ESPN carried the matches live in the U.S. in the wee hours of the morning.

The Women’s Final featured top ranked home-bound Barty taking on first time finalist Collins, who is ranked in the top 30. Barty advanced to the championship dominating her opponents without dropping a set. Collins fought hard to make it to the dance. The hometown favorite had the crowd behind her as the match began.

Both started strong to hold serve at two games apiece. Collins had an opportunity to go up 3-2 only for her to double fault keeping Barty in the match leveling at 3-3. Barty got her first break on Collins’s serve up 4-2. Her serve placement was awesome by smashing a couple aces while keeping her opponent guessing. Collins could not respond as she netted the ball three times with Barty up 5-2. After Collins held serve, Barty took control and takes the first set 6-2.

The second set was a different story or so we thought. Collins had the set under her belt with a commanding 5-1 lead by attacking the net flustering Barty left and right. Barty uncharacteristically committed a couple double faults and had several unforced errors. The set appeared to be a cakewalk for Collins. However, Barty crawled back into the match and suddenly tied at 5-5 as her hometown crowd roared.

Collins complained to the chair umpire about favoritism to the hometown crowd on several occasions heckling her and cheering for Barty during point play. All the umpire could do was instruct the crowd not to interrupt during point play. Collins held serve at 6-5, but at 6 all Barty sent the set into a tiebreaker by which she dominated 7-6(2) and won the match 6-2, 7-6(2) to become a three-time Grand Slam champion. Both players nonchalantly shook hands and the winner and runner up trophies took place.

During the trophy presentation, runner up Collins thanked Barty by congratulating her as she told the Guardian, “I really admired you as a player. This is the most of the players’ favorite grand slam.” She then thanked her coaches for bringing her in and supporting her as well as volunteers and support staff. Barty offered her gratitude to Collins, “Congratulations Danielle, you’ll be in the Top 10.” She then thanked the ball kids, umpires, her team and fans quote “I’m incredibly fortunate to have such love in my corner.”

Barty became the first Australian in 44 years to capture the title in her hometown. Barty will maintain her world No. 1 ranking while Collins will likely move up in the ranks from her current spot at No. 27.  

The Men’s Championship had last year’s US Open Champion Medvedev from Russia taking on 35-year-old Spaniard Rafael Nadal who sought to break the record of overall Grand Slams at 20 held by Novak Djokovic and Roger Federer. The crowd mainly supported Nadal so that they could witness history in the making. Some had banner flags displayed representing the countries of both men.

The first set started with Nadal looking sluggish. He had a couple double faults and seemed tired. The set was relatively routine for Medvedev winning 6-2.

The second set was a turnaround at first as Nadal had a 4-1 lead which included a 40-shot rally that ended with a Nadal backhand slice winner as the crowd went wild. However, Medvedev started to chip away and got back in the set as he held serve and broke Nadal’s serve with the score at 4-3. Nadal broke Medvedev’s serve with a beautiful drop shot as Medvedev lost his footing up 5-3.

While Nadal was serving for the set, the television camera panned away from television viewers as a crazed fan jumped to the court reportedly going after Medvedev but was quickly subdued by security. Both players didn’t appear startled and play immediately resumed. Medvedev had four break points and eventually broke Nadal’s serve cutting the lead to 5-4. After both players held serve at 6 all, a tiebreaker ensued. Both players went back and forth on points. Nadal attempted to get the second set up 5-4 as Medvedev sarcastically cheered for Nadal’s point with the crowd. Medvedev later took the set 7-6(5) and was up two sets to none.

With Medvedev ahead in the match, television stats had a 4% chance of Nadal winning. That menial figure proved to be the possible of the impossible. At first Medvedev had three break point chances on one of Nadal’s serves (0-40) and needed just one more point to take a commanding lead. But Nadal denied him that last point. He started picking Medvedev apart with forehand topspins mesmerizing him and grabbed the third set 6-4.

The fourth set had three breaks of serve. Nadal broke Medvedev’s serve up 2-1, but Medvedev broke right back at 2 all. After a marathon point Nadal broke back up 3-2, and from there Medvedev couldn’t respond. Nadal eventually takes the set 6-4.

The fifth and deciding set determined the winner. At 2 all, Nadal broke Medvedev’s serve to go up 3-2. Following a television timeout Medvedev was barking at the chair umpire to not have fans cheer during point play and to have them silenced. Nadal held serve at 4-2, Medvedev held at love up 4-3, and after two more holds Medvedev broke to tie at 5 all as Nadal got a time violation from the chair umpire for going past the 25 second mark while serving. The crowd got antsy. Nadal broke back up 6-5, and on serve won the set and the match 2-6, 6-7(5), 6-4, 6-4, 7-5. After the match both showed good sportsmanship by shaking hands although it seemed whatever Medvedev said to Nadal didn’t fare well with him. Nadal immediately went to embrace his coaches’ box.

During the trophy presentation Medvedev sarcastically congratulated Nadal according to The Guardian newspaper “I want to congratulate Rafa because what he did today was insane,” he said. “After the match I asked him, ‘Are you tired?’ I think the level was very high. You raised your level after two sets for the 21st Grand Slam.” Nadal praised Medvedev, according to The Guardian, “First of all I know it’s a tough moment, Daniel, you are an amazing champion. It was one of the most emotional matches of my tennis career and to share a court with you is just an honor, so all the best in the future.”

This marks Nadal’s second Australian Open title since 2009. The match lasted 5 hours, 24 minutes making this the second longest match in Slam history.