66 °
    68 °
    70 °
    72 °
    74 °
    75 °
    76 °
    77 °
    78 °
    78 °
    77 °
    76 °
    75 °
    74 °
    74 °
    73 °
    73 °
    72 °
    71 °
    70 °
    70 °
    69 °
    68 °
    69 °
    70 °
81°/ 68°
78°/ 68°
Moderate rain
72°/ 62°
Moderate rain

‘Battlefront II’ vindicated: Update engages players

The recently released update for Electronic Arts (EA) and DICE’s “Star Wars Battlefront II: The Age of Rebellion,” adds expansive content for gamers to fight as the valiant Rebels or the mighty Empire on the beaches of Scarif from the “Rogue One” film.

I wonder, following its disastrous launch in 2016, if the current state of “Battlefront II” is worth the price, now that the developers announced that “The Age of Rebellion” would be the last major update.

I had doubts when I first purchased a copy, however, after almost a year battling in a galaxy far, far away, it has been a pleasant surprise.

“Battlefront II” is EA’s adaptation of the similarly titled cult classic, developed by Pandemic Studios in 2009. In it, players can fight all the major battles of the “Star Wars” franchise.

The game originally received heavy criticism due to its pay-to-win mechanics and failure to meet expectations. EA and DICE made attempts to patch the game after its release, but it was a financial and technical flop.

In efforts to make things right, the developers have been busy and have earned my respect for their passion and dedication for the franchise, the fans and the development of the game itself.

“Battlefront II” that was released in 2016 is nowhere to be seen. Everything that was originally wrong has been (mostly) resolved. New content, such as maps, game modes, characters, weapons and customizable skins, were added for free.

The developers have also emphasized gameplay to give players an engaging playing experience.

The problem during the initial release was the broken progression system. Players who spent real-world currency had an unfair advantage and unrestrained access to game content.

Now, any optional purchases are solely intended for character appearance customization. The new progression system is experience-based, meaning the only way for players to unlock new special abilities and perks is by investing more time on the battlefield.

An ISB agent looks over the battle as a stormtrooper prepares to engage an enemy ewok. Photo courtesy Ben Walke

“Battlefront II,” in my opinion, is the game it was meant to be. It may not rise to the praise I have for the Pandemic’s version due to its tarnished reputation, but I would be lying if I denied all the fun I’ve had with the improvements EA made since the 2016 release.

The DICE investments have paid off. From stunningly recreated worlds to vehicles and characters from the “Star Wars” universe, the fluid gameplay development is adequate for both new and experienced players.

The few faults I could find were the lightsaber combat mechanics, which can be disorienting at first; space battles that lack expansive development; and the disproportionate advantages certain characters have during gameplay. There’s also the usual bug here-and-there, but all the criticisms are dwarfed by the overall presentation that promises a solid immersion to the “Star Wars” universe.

From the moment I spent capturing and defending objectives as an infantry unit, trying to turn the tide of battle as a hero or villain from one of the three trilogies or playing the campaign story that adds a new narrative in the “Star Wars” timeline, I concluded that the current version of “Battlefront II” is a respectable successor to the original.

Like the Jedi Knight who fell into the dark side, EA’s “Battlefront II” has earned its redemption. As the saying goes, “The force is strong with this one.”

Grade B+