72 °
    70 °
    69 °
    68 °
    67 °
    66 °
    66 °
    65 °
    64 °
    65 °
    67 °
    70 °
    73 °
    76 °
    78 °
    81 °
    82 °
    83 °
    84 °
    83 °
    82 °
    80 °
    78 °
    76 °
    75 °
April 29
82°/ 63°
Sunny
April 30
84°/ 64°
Sunny
80°/ 69°
Moderate rain

Working to ensure safety at Richland

Students in El Paso hall, eating lunch and studying in November, 2023. (Staff Photo/Aislyn Smith)

At Dallas College Richland Campus, safety isn’t just a priority – it’s a way of life. With the help of the Dallas College Emergency Response Team, or CERT, students, staff and faculty are equipped to handle any emergency that may arise on campus.
“The college wants to assure you that the safety and security of our students, faculty, administrators and staff, as well as the communities we serve, is our highest priority,” said Lauretta Hill, Dallas College’s former Chief of Police.

When the fire alarm blares, signaling danger, everyone should know what to do. Evacuation should be immediate and orderly, guided by CERT volunteers who ensure everyone reaches designated assembly points safely. These volunteers are the unsung heroes, calmly directing the flow of people away from potential harm.
But what if the unthinkable happens, and an active shooter is on campus? In those harrowing moments, every second counts. From new student orientation, students are instructed to search for exits and flee in the opposite direction of danger. If escape is impossible, they are taught to barricade doors, turn off lights and hide in silence until help arrives. And if all else fails, they’re urged to fight back fiercely, with the knowledge that survival depends on swift and decisive action.

In the midst of chaos, one thing remains constant: The importance of reporting any suspicious activity. Whether it’s witnessing violence or noticing something amiss, students are encouraged to call or text 911 immediately. Their vigilance could mean the difference between life and death.

At Richland, safety isn’t just a set of guidelines – it’s a community effort. By working together and remaining vigilant, students, staff and faculty ensure their campus remains a haven of learning and security.