73 °
    72 °
    71 °
    70 °
    70 °
    69 °
    69 °
    69 °
    69 °
    69 °
    69 °
    70 °
    70 °
    71 °
    72 °
    74 °
    76 °
    79 °
    79 °
    80 °
    81 °
    81 °
    80 °
    77 °
    75 °
April 26
78°/ 69°
Moderate rain
April 27
81°/ 68°
Moderate rain
April 28
79°/ 65°
Moderate rain

Presidential elections: Every vote matters

Photo/Associated Press
Chris Christie, left, Nikki Haley, Ron DeSantis, and Vivek Ramaswamy debate during the third GOP primary debate on Nov. 8, 2023. Only Haley and Donald Trump remain candidates.

This year there are major elections happening in Texas. Everyone may already know that we have our U.S. presidential election this year. But did you know we have U.S. Senator Ted Cruz on the ballot this year as well? Representatives in the U.S. and Texas House of Representatives are on the ballot, as well as district judges, and city council members and others.
The last day to register for the March 5 Texas primary elections is Feb. 5. The primary elections will determine who will make it to the general election later this year. The primary elections are important.
There are independent and third-party candidates running for the presidential seat, like Robert F. Kennedy Jr., Cornel West and Jill Stein. Make sure to do your research on these candidates.
Of course, most people know about the Democratic and Republican positions, but there are independent, Libertarian, nonpartisan, unaffiliated, Peace and Freedom, and People Over Politics parties, just to name a few. Current president Joe Biden is running again, as well as Donald Trump, trying to reclaim his nomination for the Republican Party despite his numerous indictments.
Please remember to get registered to vote and do your research on these candidates. You can go to Ballotpedia.com to find out more information and get the full list of the candidates that are attempting to become the person that speaks for you. Know that no vote is a vote. Your power is in the vote you place. Your voice is in the vote you place.
If you have not registered to vote, or need some guidance in the voting process, go to your local SGA for more information, or tune into Kee West’s “The ER” podcast at 2 p.m. on Richland’s KDUX WebRadio to get regular updates on what is happening in the country.
Your vote. Your choice. Choose wisely, because your very way of life depends on it. You should have a say in what is going to happen to your community and who speaks for you.