76 °
    78 °
    79 °
    80 °
    80 °
    80 °
    79 °
    77 °
    76 °
    74 °
    73 °
    72 °
    71 °
    71 °
    71 °
    71 °
    70 °
    70 °
    69 °
    68 °
    68 °
    68 °
    68 °
    69 °
    69 °
April 27
81°/ 68°
Moderate rain
April 28
79°/ 67°
Moderate rain
April 29
87°/ 64°
Sunny

Richland Police keep campus and students safe

Annual security report show campus crime still rare
The campus police office is located in Pecos Hall, open as a safe place M-F, 6:30 a.m. to 11:30 p.m. (Staff Photo/Jason Tejeda)

According to the Dallas College Police Department’s annual security report for 2023, there have been 16 on-campus crimes committed at the main Richland Campus from 2020–2022.
The leading offense was stalking and the leading arrests were for drug violations. For students who feel their life or general well-being are in danger, the campus police are available to provide escorts to vehicles or for immediate assistance.
Campus police advise students and employees to contact them directly through their own line, 972-860-4290, since they would be more familiar with the school layout than the city police.
Dialing 911 on any campus phone will route the call to Dallas College police. As for drug violations, such as marijuana possession and usage, not only could an arrest be made, but there will be disciplinary action from the school. Consequences imposed by Dallas College for student misconduct, otherwise known as sanctions, are situational. They can go from a written warning to suspension. Even higher than suspension is the possibility of complete removal from program of study.
On Oct. 25, a fire broke out in El Paso Hall due to an ignited microwave and caused the fire alarms to go off. In an event such as this, the emergency procedures guide on the Dallas College website advises to only grab any immediate belongings and prioritize evacuation. Even if the alarm turns out to be false, safety is top priority. Treat any evacuation seriously and follow the instructions of the College Emergency Response Team, first responders and college faculty and staff.
There is no denying that shootings are more commonplace and unpredictable, a recent example being the shooting at the State Fair of Texas food court on Oct. 14.
In preparation for any emergency situation, students and employees should familiarize themselves with the emergency procedures guide on the Dallas College website.
Safety is not limited to the physical. Mental health continues to be an important and pressing issue.
Stress can be overwhelming, and Dallas College provides counseling and psychological services for students and faculty. On the Richland Campus, those services can be found in El Paso Hall’s Room E082.
If someone is acting out and causing concern for either their own well-being or the well-being of others, the student handbook advises students to call campus police. Students are urged to listen to authorized personnel and faculty when it comes to evacuation and personal safety.
Don’t forget that campus police are a valuable resource for any Richland community member.