65 °
    67 °
    68 °
    70 °
    74 °
    76 °
    77 °
    78 °
    78 °
    77 °
    75 °
    73 °
    71 °
    70 °
    69 °
    69 °
    69 °
    69 °
    69 °
    69 °
    69 °
    69 °
    69 °
    70 °
    70 °
79°/ 65°
Heavy rain
82°/ 68°
86°/ 70°

‘Smile’ is contagious

Dr. Rose Cotter, played by Sosie Bacon, attends to a smiling patient. (Photo/IMDB)

As an avid horror fan, I have consumed many works of the genre. I am no stranger to it, as even one of my favorite authors is Stephen King. A literary author who has written many books that are made into films such as “Pet Sematary” and “IT.” Many horror directors know that the key to raw scare is pulsating fear, and that is why many like me keep going back for more.

“Smile didn’t disappoint me. Firstly, the movie’s marketing campaign is by far the most jarring. They hired actors to stand and perform the signature creepy smile at many places. They stood and did nothing but smile. Wearing bright yellow shirts with the title of the movie. They appeared at many major league baseball games and even NBC’s “Today”show.

This surely got people talking about it. All over social media people were talking about the mysterious people who smiled menacingly amongst the crowd. Videos of genuine confusion made me laugh, and the app TikTok even made a filter that has the actress smiling behind you! People kept up the conversation until its release on Sept. 30 and made $22 million in its first release.

The movie begins with Sosie Bacon as Rose Cotter, a psychiatrist who works at a psychiatric facility and treats patients with the most extreme cases of mental instability. She is given a one-on-one with new patient Laura Weaver, played by Caitlin Stasey, who has said she has experienced sights of people smiling. Only she can see them, and they can appear to be anyone.

Rose tries to talk her down from an extreme panic but fails as the patient cuts herself with a shard of broken vase while expressing an unpleasant smile. It is this smile that sends Rose in a psychological spiral throughout the movie. Director Parker Finn does a great job of putting you on edge with this movie. It is his first feature after a couple of short films, “Laura Hasn’t Slept” and “The Hidebehind.”

Even though the movie is full of classic horror cliches, Finn does a great job of rein- venting them. The cinematic experience is smooth and transitional with each scene. The antics of the jump scares are very simplistic, yet convincing. I felt like essence of the gore was too fabricated and felt very much like a video game. It is a slow burn so I would watch with every intent of keeping up with the plot line. The cliffhanger will probably leave you unfulfilled. I have every intention of seeing the sequel should one arise.

Overall, it is a fine piece of scary. It can be a great first horror movie for those who have never felt the genuine frights of consuming one. Finn deserves all the praise in his big break. It is worth the hype, and I encourage others to go see it if they have the chance.

Grade: B