One more ring for the collection

Blanca Reyes, Staff Writer

“No other men’s soccer team in the nation has won four consecutive championships. So, we are very proud of our student athletes and coach Raul Herrera,” Dr. Kay Eggleston, president of Dallas College Richland Campus, said during the championship ring ceremony on Aug. 23.

The 2021 Richland men’s soccer team and its head coach, Raul Herrera, were recognized in a ring ceremony held in the El Paso Student Lounge.

Herrera talked about the accomplishments of his players and the assistant coaches, Alberto Rodriguez and Alejandro Radilla.

The men’s soccer team show off their national championship rings after the award ceremony in the El Paso student lounge on Aug. 23. (Staff Photos/Blanca Reyes)

“I think it was time to give the kids recognition and let the people know around the campus how well we’ve done in the season, and not only victories and championships but we have a lot of kids moving on with scholar- ships,” Herrera said.

“I think we had great leadership. Both of the captains, who ended up transferring out on full scholarships to Division 1 schools, were great dealers,” Rodriguez said.

The T-Ducks have won the NJCAA Division III championship four years in a row, and Herrera has been with the team three of those four times.

Herrera said these victories are because of the high standards the coaches have on and off the field.

Juan Vargas, the right-back, said that Raul is always bringing good players to the team but most important that the new players are good people.

Eggleston said Herrera was previously a student in Richland and grew up with the campus, also saying Herrera and the assistant coaches are tremendous.

Herrera and Rodriguez won a championship together as students in 2006 playing for the Thunderducks.

Herrera has been with Richland men’s soccer team for 11 years. When he became the head coach in 2018, he brought Rodriguez on as one of his assistants.

Rodriguez said although he has been with the team in three of the four championship seasons, it never stops feeling like the first time.

He said the most important thing to having a successful team is to let the players know from the beginning that there is a lot of hard work behind the championship. “It is not only to show up and to expect to win but show dedication and passion,” Rodriguez said.

Samuele Muroni, midfielder, said communication played an important role in winning. “Amazing. The feeling was incredible that I can’t explain it,” Muroni said about the final game, which was held in Herkimer, New York, against the Camden Cougars of Camden County College in 2021.

This year’s season started on Aug. 20, but the expectations are already high for the Thunderducks. The team won its first victory during their first game against Louisiana State University Aug. 20 in Tyler.

Although the T-Ducks appear to have a strong team, Herrera said the season will not be easy. “Everybody knows about us and everybody wants to beat us,” Herrera said.

For more information about the team, games and results visit: www.rlcsports.com/ sports/msoc/index.

Head coach Raul Herrera congratulates his players during the ring ceremony.
Campus president Dr. Kay Eggleston holds a soccer ball during the ceremony.