T-Duck women practice

Different players, common goals

Saint Garcia, Staff Writer

Richland’s women’s soccer Thunderducks are coming out of the off-season with new incoming players and the common goal of breaking the ceiling of last season’s efforts.

The T-Ducks women’s soccer team during a recent practice. (Staff Photo/Blanca Reyes)

In the 2021-2022 season, the T-Ducks finished with a competitive 6-3-1 (.650-win percentage) in their conference.

On Aug. 15, the NJCAA released the preseason rankings naming Richland 9th overall coming into this year’s season.

New players are also being introduced into the culture that is Richland. The Women’s T-Ducks have always been a very competitive team, especially when it comes to the conference battles with longtime rival Brookhaven.

This season’s success seems to start with building the foundation of chemistry which would lead to a successful year.

When asked about their interest in joining Richland sports, Gissel Hernandez, a fresh- man defender, said; “Everyone is so nice, and they treat you as equals… especially the returning players.”

“If anything, they encourage you to be better.” Hearing the excited tone in her voice shows the chemistry already building.

This year comes with an absolute test within the first month.

Key matchups are all on the road against the University of Texas at Dallas (7-2 at home, 2021 season), Navarro College (8-1 at home, 2021 season), and the defending champions Brookhaven campus (10-1 at home, 2021 season).

The excitement that comes with the competitive level has to come into play as many of the returning players have been able to experience the tough second half of the season and going into the playoffs.

Incoming sophomore midfielder Ashlyn Pozorski expressed her experience.

“I’ve been at a pretty competitive level going to national leagues … so coming here I already have the competitive mindset,” Pozorski said.

That same mindset is going to be focused as the season prolongs as the women’s soccer team looks to advance further into playoffs and in the hopes of bringing Richland the championship home.