78 °
    79 °
    80 °
    80 °
    80 °
    79 °
    77 °
    76 °
    74 °
    73 °
    72 °
    71 °
    71 °
    71 °
    71 °
    70 °
    70 °
    69 °
    68 °
    68 °
    68 °
    68 °
    69 °
    69 °
    72 °
April 27
81°/ 68°
Moderate rain
April 28
79°/ 67°
Moderate rain
April 29
85°/ 64°
Sunny

ONLINE ONLY: Ricky’s Top 10 movies of 2023

Chronicle entertainment editor’s favorites for the year

This was an admirable year for movies, despite actors and writers strikes because all of these movies were done before the disruption that halted Hollywood production for half a year.  This is my Top 10 for the year so far.  Late-arriving excellent movies will show up in future reviews.

“Oppenheimer” (Photos/IMDB)

“Oppenheimer” – Director/co-writer Christopher Nolan knocked one out of the park with this historical drama.  In telling this intriguing story, Nolan weaved a biopic that dealt with lots of jealousy, misdirection and what happened to the United States as a country after the second World War.  The movie is told in two parts.  The first half is the creation of the bomb.  The second half deals with a rival, played by Robert Downey Jr., who tries to fault the title character (Cillian Murphy) for everything along the way. GRADE: A+

“Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse

“Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse” – Any movie that has me smiling throughout gets high marks from me.  I can admit I’m a super-dork for embracing superhero movies.  When they’re done this well, I have no complaints.  It’s a great animated tale that embraces a very distinct style altogether.  A

“John Wick: Chapter 4″

“John Wick:  Chapter 4” – It’s awesome, just totally awesome.  Keanu Reeves as the title character wields guns like a third arm in this action-thriller.  You don’t have sympathy for people who die because they are all bad people.   Director Chad Stahelski knows how to point the camera in all the right directions. A

“Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny” – Instead of Steven Spielberg, who called the shots on the first four Indy adventures, gifted director James Mangold (“Cop Land”) runs Harrison Ford through the action-adventure paces this time.   At two hours and 34 minutes, it’s the longest movie of the franchise.  A

“Mission:Impossible-Dead Reckoning Part One”

“Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One” – This one is just pure fun.  Tom Cruise returns as Ethan Hunt, who always leads a team taking on seemingly impossible tasks.  Much of the credit belongs to director Christopher McQuarrie.  It’s a lightning pace and the adventure never lets off the gas pedal.  A

“The Flash” – This is a really good superhero movie, thanks to director Andy Muschietti and despite star Ezra Miller’s off-screen antics.  It was cool seeing Michael Keaton as Batman again and Sasha Calle is good as Supergirl.  A-

“Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3” – Director James Gunn assembles the team for another fast-paced adventure.  This action-comedy doesn’t take itself too seriously.  Dave Bautista has said this will be his last appearance as Drax the Destroyer, the muscle of the group.  A-

“The Creator”

“The Creator” – This one actually surprised me because of how enthralled I was with the storyline and the characters.  John David Washington, who was great in “Tenet,” is the main character in this sci-fi futuristic dystopian action-drama.  Director Gareth Edwards does a terrific job with all the dynamics woven into this tale.  A-

“Sisu”

“Sisu” – I don’t like violence, even in the movies.  But when the Nazis are involved, all bets are off.  In Finnish with English subtitles, this action-war movie is set shortly after World War II when the Germans have lost but keep fighting.  A-

“Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles:  Mutant Mayhem” – I have to admit I was giddy over this animated adventure of ninja turtles in action.  To me the other versions were juvenile and dumb.  In this one they go against an army of mutants to save the Big Apple.  A

“Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem”