72 °
    75 °
    78 °
    80 °
    81 °
    82 °
    82 °
    82 °
    80 °
    78 °
    75 °
    73 °
    72 °
    70 °
    69 °
    68 °
    67 °
    66 °
    66 °
    65 °
    65 °
    65 °
    67 °
    69 °
    72 °
April 29
83°/ 63°
Sunny
April 30
84°/ 64°
Sunny
83°/ 70°

Cowboys to give Johnson another ring

Jimmy Johnson to be inducted into the Cowboys’ Ring of Honor
Photo/Associated Press
Miami coach Jimmy Johnson celebrates an Orange Bowl win before accepting the job as Cowboys head coach in 1989.

A coaching tenure cut short because of a petty feud. A curse laid on a team because of said feud. Finally, after 30 years since a very questionable move by the Dallas Cowboys front office, one of the greatest coaches to ever grace the NFL will be honored by the Cowboys on Dec. 30, by being inducted into the Cowboys’ Ring of Honor at the AT&T Stadium in Arlington.
Many superstitious fans (myself included) believe the unjust firing of Jimmy Johnson is what led to the Cowboys not being capable of making it to the Super Bowl in 27 years, let alone the NFC Championship. Now, with the Cowboys being white hot and Jerry Jones putting his feud with Johnson behind, it might be time to be delusional fans again and truly believe the Cowboys are going to the Super Bowl.
All jokes aside, as a diehard fan of this team, it is great to see the best coach in team history finally being honored as he deserves. In his five-year tenure, he rebuilt a Cowboys team that only won one game in his first season, to winning two Super Bowls in a row. In total, Johnson led the Cowboys to 51 wins, losing only one playoff game, and having three seasons in which the Cowboys won 10+ games. Coach Johnson is also credited with giving the Cowboys one of the greatest trios in history: The Triplets.
Johnson built one of the most explosive and entertaining offenses in the NFL around quarterback Troy Aikman, running back Emmitt Smith (arguably the greatest RB of all time), and wide receiver Michael Irving.
After his tenure with the Cowboys was over, Johnson coached the Miami Dolphins for four seasons, where he did not have a single losing season and made the playoffs three times in a row, going 2-3 in playoff games with the Dolphins.
Johnson now works as an analyst/commentator for Fox Sports, providing in-depth analysis on the teams he and his crew cover during the early Sunday TV window.
Every time he makes a prediction about the Cowboys, he tends to take the Cowboys’ side, as if he still loves the team.
When the Cowboys faced the Carolina Panthers on Nov. 19, Johnson and Cowboys owner Jerry Jones were seen watching the game together.
It was just before that game that Jones in-formed Johnson that he would be inducted into the Cowboys’ Ring of Honor.