72 °
    74 °
    76 °
    78 °
    79 °
    80 °
    80 °
    79 °
    78 °
    77 °
    76 °
    74 °
    73 °
    72 °
    72 °
    71 °
    70 °
    69 °
    68 °
    68 °
    68 °
    68 °
    68 °
    68 °
    69 °
81°/ 68°
78°/ 68°
Moderate rain
72°/ 62°
Moderate rain

Richland Student Media takes the spotlight

Students share what they learned at journalism conference with Board of Trustees

The Richland Student Media team found itself in the spotlight as members were invited to attend the Dallas College Board of Trustees meeting on Nov. 7.

Chronicle Editor-In-Chief Aislyn Smith speaks to the Dallas College Board of Trustees. (Photo/Dallas College)

The invitation was extended to hear firsthand accounts of the students’ experiences at this year’s ACP/CMA Fall National College Media Convention in Atlanta, making it an evening of recognition and celebration.

Representing the talent from Dallas College Student Publications/Media were Aislyn Smith, the Richland Chronicle’s editor-in-chief, and Rory Moore and Carmen Guzman, the Eastfield Et Cetera’s photo editor and editor-in-chief, respectively. Each seized the opportunity to address the Board of Trustees and share their unique perspectives on the convention.

Smith, who spoke on behalf of Richland Student Media, took the podium with enthusiasm, detailing the enriching experiences and valuable insights gained at the ACP/CMA convention.

Her two-minute speech resonated with the board as she touched upon the invaluable knowledge and skills she acquired. She reinforced the importance of such events in shaping the future of student journalism.

“We’re ready to take the next necessary steps to build on our foundation and prepare for even greater success with our nationally recognized programs like our newspaper the Richland Chronicle, KDUX Web Radio, Chronicle TV, and a revival of our literary magazine the Parallax.” Smith said in her presentation to the board.

After their presentations, the student representatives and their colleagues had the unique opportunity to pose for a photo with the Dallas College Board, symbolizing a moment of shared achievement and recognition.

As Richland Student Media continues to make waves within the Dallas College community, this event stands as an example to the impact of student journalism and the recognition it rightfully deserves.