67 °
    67 °
    68 °
    69 °
    71 °
    71 °
    72 °
    74 °
    76 °
    77 °
    77 °
    75 °
    73 °
    71 °
    70 °
    69 °
    68 °
    68 °
    67 °
    67 °
    66 °
    65 °
    65 °
    66 °
    68 °
April 28
78°/ 66°
Moderate rain
April 29
84°/ 64°
Sunny
April 30
79°/ 68°

Ethnic Eats ‘n’ Beats

Exploring diversity & inclusivity at Richland
Students during a recent meeting of the Fellowship of Christian University Students (FOCUS).  (Staff Photo/Tracey Nicholas)

Richland’s campus club FOCUS (Fellowship of Christian University Students) hosted a welcome-back-to-campus event for people with diverse cultural-ethnic differences at the beginning of the semester. The room was buzzing with music and activity as students with diverse backgrounds enjoyed tasty cultural food, conversions and fun games. A sense of welcome was felt in the room.
Sociology professor Sirak Asfew, campus pastor and FOCUS faculty adviser, is originally from Canada and raised by Ethiopian parents. He affirmed the Richland Campus’s commitment to fostering diversity and inclusivity within its community.
“Richland is a very diverse campus, with parents from different countries and nations entrusting us with their children’s education. We aim to make them feel at home, seen, and loved. That’s why we offer a wide array of foods representing various cultures,” Asfew said.
A student member of FOCUS echoed these sentiments, stating that he had initially missed an event hosted by the club on Tuesday but made it a point to attend the Thursday gathering to compensate for his absence. He shared that he had no regrets about his decision and expressed his appreciation for the multitude of diversities present at Richland.
Sandra Salvador, one of the campus pastors shed light on the school’s organization and its dedication to representing the rich tapestry of diversity on Richland’s campus. She said Richland has three campus pastors, and FOCUS is a vital part of the institution’s fabric.
“Richland is a very diverse community, and we wanted to create a space that reflects the diversity of our student population,” Salvador said.
“One thing is we don’t shy away from is that we are a Christian group. However, anyone and everyone is welcome, without limitations or requirements to be part of the organization,”
This inclusive approach underscores the Richland Campus’s dedication to fostering a harmonious and diverse academic environment. Ethnic Eats ‘n Beats, hosted by FOCUS, has set the steppingstone to feeling closer to home in a place far from it.