77 °
    77 °
    76 °
    75 °
    73 °
    72 °
    71 °
    70 °
    70 °
    69 °
    69 °
    69 °
    69 °
    69 °
    69 °
    70 °
    70 °
    71 °
    72 °
    74 °
    76 °
    79 °
    79 °
    80 °
    81 °
April 26
78°/ 69°
Moderate rain
April 27
81°/ 68°
Patchy rain nearby
April 28
79°/ 62°
Moderate rain

Free resources available to Richland students

Students studying and socializing in the student lounge in El Paso Hall during lunch recently. (Staff Photo/Aislyn Smith)

In today’s world, technology is becoming increasingly integrated into our everyday lives. With our phones, laptops, headphones and TVs, we are always using some form of this technology to aid with everyday tasks.
When it comes to school, however, it can be harder for technology to be integrated into traditional classrooms, especially when that technology encourages cheating or plagiarism. But what if there were resources that could help students learn in their classes, without doing it for them? And better yet, what if they were free?
Resources like these are invaluable in our world, and so it would be smart to take advantage of them when learning. That’s especially true when it gives you the chance to interact with new technologies such as AI and Adaptive Learning. Here are some of the best free resources for students to utilize in their courses in 2023:

Canva — This is a great online website perfect for creating documents and graphics for any use. With thousands of free-to-use templates, students can use this resource to create the perfect presentations for class, posters for their clubs or even an ad for a startup small business.

Calendly
— Calendly makes the perfect schedule for busy students, allowing them to add events, block out class times, and even set aside personal time, all while keeping track and notifying them of their availability and upcoming events. It comes highly recommended by many students, and you can integrate any pre-existing calendars from your own devices.

Quillbot — Students can use Quillbot for any writing-related purposes, whether for an academic essay or a simple email to their professor. Quillbot can create citations in about two seconds, all from just a single link; No more waiting for three minutes while watching ads on EasyBib. And the best part is, Quillbot also offers students a paraphrasing tool using AI, that can simplify complex ideas, making hard-to-understand subjects just a little easier.

Photopea — Looking to photoshop a graphic on your presentation? Or maybe to edit a photo for your Instagram. Photopea offers Photoshop for free, with a user interface practically identical to Adobe Photoshop. Just drop an image from your laptop on the website, and you can edit it straight from there.

Hemingway App — Another writing app, Hemingway helps students to better their writing by offering suggestions and advice on essays. The best part about this website is that it truly does help students get better at writing, without doing the work for them.

DigitalDefynd — With over 96,000 free courses from top universities like Yale and Harvard, students can learn new skills and even earn certifications and degrees. Almost every subject can be found on this website, and it can help those who may not be sure if their major is meant for them, without paying the money.

Cheatography — Despite the name, this website is perfect for those who don’t fully grasp the subjects in class. With hundreds of courses and subjects to choose from, students can find reviews, study guides, practice questions and more to help them.

Lifeat.io — Do you have trouble studying in your everyday environment? Lifeat.io is a great way to break up your study schedule, as it allows you to customize backgrounds, music, sounds, and more. You can even invite friends and classmates to join and have a group discussion. Students have recommended the coffee shop setting, as it almost makes you feel like you are at your local cafe, studying foryour next exam.

Writefull — An AI-based tool, Writefull is perfect for college courses as it allows students to read academic papers in a way that most can comprehend. It’s perfect for those in research programs, and even for those who may have difficulty understanding class material. Writefull also features plagiarism and grammar checkers, once you have your papers written.

Google Scholar — A website powered by the search engine Google, Scholar allows students to browse free credible articles, academic essays, theses, speeches and books. Just simply type in the keywords for your search and find any related information for your next projects.

Recommended by Richland professors

Erica Terrell (government)
Professor Terrell suggested the Google extension Grammarly, explaining that students are almost always writing emails or papers. Even with the free version, Grammarly allows your writing to have proper grammar and correct phrasing. The extension is compatible with all devices and brands, and if you need more features, Grammarly also offers a paid version.

Jennifer Gray (speech communications)
Dr. Gray recommends an AI-powered speech coach found on app.yoodli.ai that allows students to practice interviews and meetings with AI that will help refine words, statements and phrasing when speaking. There are multiple different modes, all that allow a student to prepare for their next important meeting, without the stress or anxiety of doing it in front of another person.

So when you find yourself struggling with your day-to-day activities, keep this list in mind. These resources are very helpful, especially considering the increasing difficulties in students’ studies. It’s important to continue to be informed and aware of any tools available to use.