71 °
    71 °
    72 °
    74 °
    76 °
    77 °
    77 °
    75 °
    73 °
    71 °
    70 °
    69 °
    68 °
    68 °
    67 °
    67 °
    66 °
    65 °
    65 °
    66 °
    68 °
    71 °
    73 °
    76 °
    79 °
April 28
78°/ 66°
Moderate rain
April 29
84°/ 64°
Sunny
April 30
79°/ 68°
Patchy rain nearby

T-Ducks still the soccer team to beat

Men’s soccer team trounces Mountain View 8-0 in conference opener

Everyone knows the most difficult thing about being a champion is to defend your title. However, Dallas College Richland Campus men’s soccer team makes it look easy with how they have been playing lately. The Thunderducks have once again topped the NJCAA Div. III rankings while they continue on their quest to winning their sixth title in a row, making it 11 national championship wins.

Richland’s Enrique Alvarez recovers the ball near the T-Ducks goal on the way to a 8-0 win over the Mountain View Lions on Sept. 13. (Staff Photos/Xavier Villarreal)

The Thunderducks currently have a record of 4-1, outscoring opponents 21-5 in four games, showing just how electrifying they are. Consequently, the Thunderducks are regarded as the team to beat in NJCAA Div III. When asked about what the key ingredients are to becoming the soccer powerhouse they are, Coach Raul Herrera said,  “We have spent years building a winning culture around this team. Having a good coaching staff helps as well, but ultimately the players are the ones that win games for you.”

So far, the Thunderducks are averaging 4.2 goals per game, showing just how powerful their offense is. What makes this feat even more impressive is the fact that 14 different players have contributed to the 21 goals scored by the T-Ducks  thus far, showing the depth this team has. Center midfielder Felipe Escorcia (#10) leads the team in goal contributions, being a key player in  10 goals —  three  goals and  seven assists. The Thunderducks defense is just as impressive, conceding only  five goals in  five games, with goalkeepers Mikkel Jensen  and Arath Valdez combining for  12 saves throughout these first  five games.

As things stand now, the Thunderducks hold the record for most championship wins in a row, sitting on top with five. As for total national championship wins, the T-Ducks are currently tied with the Herkimer College Generals in New York with 10 championship wins.

Richland athletic director Lynn Nabi said, “Our main goal is to set a foundation to be able to make another run at a national championship.” A win this year in the national tournament would cement the men’s soccer team as the winningest team in the history of NJCAA Div. III.

Lion’s Giovanni Aguila, left, in hot pursuit of Richland’s Ivan Villator.

Conference play for the Thunderducks started on  Sept. 13 when the T-Ducks  visited the Mountain View Lions. Spearheaded by forward Luis Vargas ) scoring four goals, the No. 1 team in the nation found the back of the net for a grand total of eight times, with 10 players contributing to the goals throughout the  game. The final score of this match was an 8-0 win in favor of the Thunderducks, once again showing that they are the team to beat. Their next home game is set for Sept. 20, when Western Texas College is scheduled for 6 p.m.