Torrential downpour turns deadly

Alex Ortuno, Interim Editor

A vehicle lays beneath a Mesquite underpass after flood waters swept the vehicle from Texas 352. The driver was killed. (Photo Courtesy/Ron Edwards)

Summer mostly remained dry for the entirety of the region of North Texas. The regular feeling of a dry and arid day was changed completely with torrential downpours and flooding across the Metroplex. On Aug. 18, the National Weather Service in Fort Worth said a change in the weather was going to happen the next week with rain expected from Sunday night to Tuesday afternoon.

Even though the region is known for dealing with tornadoes and thunderstorms, the flooding seen throughout the city of Dallas was unlike past events.

The agency said DFW airport faced the second greatest 24-hour precipitation totals since 1919 with 9.19 inches of rain, only beaten by the number one record of 9.57 inches of rain in 1932.

As many woke up with a washout across the city, some areas faced more torrential rainfall than others.

According to Dallas Water Utility Floodway Operations, areas of Downtown Dallas and eastern Dallas faced large amounts of rain with the White Rock area facing up to 15.31 inches of rain. Richland Campus faced rainfall but not as severe as those on other campuses across the county.

Fatema Rehmant, SGA Region 2 Vice President from Brookhaven Campus describes as the flooding in the area being unlike anything she’s seen in her time in Texas.

“Oh yeah, it’s pretty bad. See, there are places where your shoes are bound to get wet and then there’s a little puddle here and there. Compared to Indian floods, it’s nothing but in my five years of being in Texas, never have I seen the campus so flooded,” said Rehmant.

Rory Etienne, SGA Parliamentarian from North Lake Campus said the rain has been rough but no flooding has been present so far.

“It has been [raining] pretty hard today but luckily, as far as I can tell, there hasn’t been any flooding. It may flood later tonight or tomorrow though.

It just depends on where you’re located in Irving because Irving has both ‘hilly’ and flat plain areas,” said Etienne.

Eastfield Campus was near parts heavily flooded in Mesquite. Eastfield Campus began efforts to help students with the inclement weather while others decided to stay safe in their homes, according to SGA state president from Eastfield, Hannah Spohn.

“Eastfield Campus has been affected by stormy weather and flooded pathways. Students say that the storms have scared them and some of them are even skipping their first day of classes to stay safe. Eastfield, along with offering shelter, is giving our umbrellas and helping arranging transportation to keep students safe,” said Spohn.

Dallas County Judge Clay Jenkins said in a tweet that based on preliminary damage assessments, a declaration of a state of disaster for Dallas County was in effect and is requesting state and federal assistance for impacted individuals.

On Aug. 23, Gov. Abbott visited the city of Dallas and signed a disaster declaration for 23 counties in the North Texas region, including Dallas county, according to a press release on the governor’s webpage.

As rescue efforts were done to help stranded drivers stuck on flooded roads, one fatality was confirmed by Jenkins. A 60 year old woman was killed in Mesquite where the car was swept away by flood waters.