Richland clubs lack involvement

Raine Caldwell, Staff Writer

Staff Photo/Simon Pruitt

Dallas College provides many students with resources and helps students from all walks of life. For students looking to add more substance to their lives, there are clubs on Richland Campus like the Philosophy Club or organizations like the Male Achievement Program. These help students looking to find friends or more opportunistic spaces to be in. They are open to all students at Richland, and many students find their calling through them.

Looking at the list of available student clubs and organizations available at Richland, the list is quite short for a school so big. I asked Vida Davies, the coordinator of the Office of Student Life, why the clubs weren’t available. Davies said the students overseeing those clubs had graduated and that nobody was willing to fill the positions. Clubs like the African Student Union do not have a standing body to continue, nor an adviser to lead it. There weren’t any students continuing the cycle of attendees. I wanted to find out the reason for the lack of student involvement at Richland, and why these positions remain empty.

Richland Campus is largely comprised of dual-credit students working toward an early start in life. I asked a 17-year-old dual credit student, who wanted to remain anonymous, why he wasn’t involved in any clubs or organizations.

“Because they just interfere with the work-life balance I have already set for myself. I am a dual-credit student and I also have a part-time job, so I don’t have enough time in the week to be more involved,” he said.

This is the case for many students attending Richland. Some non-traditional students just do not have the time to be more involved in their education. The COVID-19 pandemic didn’t do the campus any favors. enrollment has decreased since then. It takes a lot of en

couragement to be part of a community after being isolated for some time. This is why the Office of Student Life provides guidance for those looking to join or even start their own club. By just filling out a form and having a campus adviser to supervise, anyone can do it.