Trahan named to all-star game roster

Richland player is on the national radar

Blanca Reyes, Editor-in-Chief

Edward Trahan, Richland Campus’ basketball team forward, was selected to play in the National Junior College Athletic Association Men’s Basketball Coaches Association All-Star Game May 20 at Orleans Arena in Las Vegas due to his outstanding performance. According to rlcsports.com, Trahan was selected as the NJCAA Division III National Player of the Week Feb.16.

Trahan (Chronicle File Photo)

Trahan is a sophomore pursuing a kinesiology degree. He is graduating this semester with an associate on science. Although Trahan has not decided where he is going to continue his education, he hopes to have a high-level performance at the all-start game to be noticed by one of the four-year university coaches.

“I haven’t heard from many coaches yet, but hopefully I can play well enough in this all-start game because they’re gonna be a lot of coaches,” Trahan said.

Trahan said he would like to pursue a career as a professional basketball player, but knows that it is not an easy path. Trahan is not the first basketball player in his family; however, he is the first one to make it to this level.

Trahan has been playing basketball since he was a small child.  he said Richland basketball team head coach John Havens has been involved in his growing like a basketball player since the beginning.

“He always told me that I was a good player, and I showed sparks of it. … He’d always tell me to go harder. He has always pushed me. … He is like a motivator,” Trahan said.

Trahan said he will always remember coach Havens and Richland because they made a big difference in his life in and out of the court.

The difficulty of becoming a sport star has made Trahan considers getting into a culinary school to become a chef. He said that he enjoys cooking so much that he cooks for his roommate.

Trahan will fly to Las Vegas on May 19 for the all-star game.